Saturday, May 16, 2009

Does one finger beat two pins?

This story from India about a bank installing biometric ATMs, purportedly so that senior citizens who have difficulty remembering their PIN could have their fingerprint read instead, got me to thinking.

I have two different ATM accounts with my bank, one business, one personal. I use different PINs for each. I don't know why I use different ones, perhaps it's a belief that if one is compromised I'd still have the other. But suppose my bank offered a biometric ATM? Would I choose to use the same finger for each account or two different ones?

After all, chances are that if one finger is "compromised" my entire hand would be also. And simply remembering which finger works which account could be problematic for this "senior citizen." Still, it's deeply ingrained in me that different accounts need different authenticators. Maybe I'd choose to use a "strengthened" method - fingerprint+PIN. Then I could use the same finger (but a different PIN) for each account. Or different fingers plus the same PIN.

Using different fingers with different PINs is right out, though. No way I could remember those combinations. I'd need to carry around a picture of the correct finger with the right PIN written on it!

And, with all those people, especially all those old people, swiping their fingers on the ATM - wouldn't that be a health hazard?

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

© 2003-2006 The Virtual Quill, All Rights Reserved

Home

[Powered by Blogger]

-->