Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Would you transclude this?

Kermit Snelson today introduced me to a new term - "Transclusion," defined as "the inclusion of part of a document into another document by reference." (I know, the term is over 20 years old - I'd just not seen it until today!)

Snelson was introduced to it by Eugene Eric Kim, with a pointer to Douglas Engelbart’s HyperScope.

Kermit concludes that "transclusions are related to the concept of identifiers, identity in general, and the larger whole of which I believe identity is only a crucial part: distributed, trusted data sharing and computing."

I find it very much related to my long-held belief in the inevitability of the personal directory, linked to a world-wide fabric, an extension of the virtual directory concept.

Comments: Post a Comment

© 2003-2006 The Virtual Quill, All Rights Reserved

Home

[Powered by Blogger]

-->